Welcome to the Leadership Toolkit!
We believe nurses at every level of the profession can be leaders
In this toolkit, you'll find:
- Links to self-assessment leadership tools and relevant journal articles and books,
- A directory of statewide boards,
- Information on Gubernatorial board appointments,
- Tips for becoming a board member,
- Leadership mentoring information, and
- An opportunity to submit your resume to our board candidate database!
Purpose and Goals
- Encourage nurses to apply for board appointments
- Identify characteristics required for board members
- Identify roles and responsibilities of nurses on boards
- Exemplify succession planning and mentorship strategies to coach colleagues towards board appointment
- Illustrate exemplars of successful nurses appointed to boards
- Provide resources on leadership and boardroom development
- Educate nurses on possible board appointments
History, Misson, and Vision
The Virginia Action Coalition (VAC) is an initiative of the Virgnia Nurses Foundation and AARP Virginia in collaboration with the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation and the Center to Champion Nursing in America. VAC's work began in 2011 and centers around the implementation of the transformational 2010 Institute of Medicine (IOM) report, The Future of Nursing: Leading Change, Advancing Health.
VAC's vision is a future where all Virginians have access to affordable, high quality care and live with an optimal state of health.
More than 100 dedicated volunteers work to advance educational progression, remove barriers to practice, improve access to care for our patients, develop models for interprofessional collaboration, and encourage the development and mentoring of nursing leaders. VAC has formed strategic partnerships with organizations across the Commonwealth, including the Medical Society of Virginia Foundation, the Nurse Leadership Institute, the Richmond Memorial Health Foundation, the Virginia Magnet Consortium, and many other healthcare organziations.
VAC Leadership Workgroup
VAC's Leadership Workgroup's goal is to help ensure that every nurse has the leadership skills necessary to navigate a complex and changing healthcare environment. This toolkit is the result of a year-long project to advance the IOM recommendations related to improving nurse leadership skills and increasing the number of nurses serving on boards in Virginia.