The Virginia Nurses Foundation awards Owens & Minor Nursing Scholarships to three junior and/or senior nursing students.
The purpose of the scholarship program is to provide financial assistance to students completing requirements for a baccalaureate degree with a major in nursing at a state-approved and nationally-accredited school of nursing.
All applicants must:
- Be a full-time junior or senior student currently enrolled in a nursing major leading to bachelor of science in nursing degree from a nationally-approved program accredited in Virginia.
- Be a Virginia resident.
- Have a college/university cumulative grade point average of 3.00 or higher on a 4.00 scale.
All applications must be submitted online
and should include:
- A transcript from the college or university that provides evidence of academic standing and past or current enrollment in nursing courses required for the nursing degree. A copy of a transcript is acceptable. VNF reserves the right to verify enrollment.
- A one page personal statement written by the applicant that describes why the individual chose a career in nursing. Narratives longer than one page are discouraged.
- A two-page (maximum) resume including extracurricular activities, leadership roles, honors, and community service
- A letter of reference providing support for the applicant and describing why the applicant should receive a VNF scholarship. The letter should be written b a nursing faculty member who knows the student well from a didactic and/or clinical perspective.
The application form with appropriate information must be completed and submitted online
by 11:59 p.m. on October 9, 2018.
One award of $1,500 each will be made to three qualified applicants. The award is a one-time gift paid directly to the school to be credited to the student's account.
A committee composed of no fewer than three members will evaluate each application. The identities of the applicants will be deleted from the forms for a blind review of the materials. A point-value system will be used to evaluate each candidate, and the applicant(s) with the highest total points will receive the award(s). In the event of a tie, the scholarship recipients will be chosen by lot.
Recipients of these scholarships will receive official notification of their awards from the Virginia Nurses Foundation.