Virginia’s nursing ranks are filled with leaders.
From nurse faculty, nurse entrepreneurs, and acute care nurses, to CNOs and school nurses, our leaders are all ages, cultures, experience levels and disciplines. As we prepare to celebrate nursing this September 16th at our Annual Gala, we are eager to recognize outstanding nurse leaders from throughout the Commonwealth.
Nominees are not required to be members of VNA.
Direct Patient Care Leader - Patient Safety
Recognizes frontline nurse leaders with an exceptional commitment to patient safety. Nominees will demonstrate an impact on patient safety through attention to detail, a questioning attitude, and the courage to speak up and advocate.
Direct Patient Care Leader - Patient Experience
Recognizes frontline nurse leaders that demonstrates a commitment to serving patients with excellence. Nominees will demonstrate an impact on the patient experience through compassionate care, effective communication, and an attitude focused on exceeding expectations.
Recognizes nurse leaders serving in a management role that demonstrate excellent management skills, advocacy and action to improve the patient care environment. Nominees should hold a minimum of a BSN and should be presently employed in the field of nursing administration.
Chief Nursing Officer
Recognizes nurse leaders serving in an administrative capacity that demonstrate advocacy, vision, and collaboration to improve patient care and the nursing workplace. Nominees should hold a minimum of a BSN and should be presently employed in as a chief nursing officer in a hospital.
Nursing School Dean/Director
Recognizes nurse leaders serving in an educational administrative capacity that demonstrate advocacy, vision, and collaboration to improve patient care and the nursing workplace. Nominees should presently be employed as a dean or director of state-approved and nationally-accredited school of nursing.
This award recognizes nurses for their commitment to the advancement of nursing knowledge. Nominees should presently be employed in a nurse educator position and hold a master’s or doctoral degree.
Recognizes nurses for significant research activities that positively affect nursing practice. Nominees should hold a master’s degree or doctorate in nursing and demonstrate recent involvement in research endeavors related to nursing.
Recognizes a nurse who has made a significant impact on the care of patients and the discipline of nursing by successfully integrating nursing, its information and knowledge, with management of information and communication technologies.
Leadership Excellence Awards are based on the premise that a nurse leader enhances the self-image of professional nursing, has a positive value orientation and promotes the professional development of self and others as evidenced by maintaining competence in nursing and responding to challenges with innovative approaches.
To be eligible, in addition to any criteria listed in the category descriptions, the nominee must:
- Be licensed in the Commonwealth of Virginia.
- Be employed in the Commonwealth of Virginia.
- Be nominated by a professional nurse colleague.
- Have a history of enhancing the image of professional nursing, providing service with respect for human dignity and the uniqueness of others, and promoting the scholarly activities and/or professional development of self and others.
- Be available to receive the award the evening of the event.
Nominations are invited from nurses and friends of nursing across the Commonwealth of Virginia. All nominations MUST BE submitted via our online portal and should include the following:
- Completed online form
- Supporting narrative that addresses criteria (1000 word maximum)
- One letter of support (Should be written by someone other than person submitting narrative) - If yours is a pdf, please copy and paste the text into a word document!
- Nominee’s curriculum vitae
Awards Selection and Presentation
- Nominations for the Leadership Excellence Awards must be submitted online by May 31, 2017 at 11:59 p.m.
- Award finalists and their nominators will be notified beginning the week of July 1st.
The VNF Leadership Awards selection committee will conduct a blinded review of all nominations received.
All nominations must be submitted online via the individual portals linked under each category. Paper nominations will not be accepted.