Winners were announced at the annual VNF Gala, held at the Hilton Richmond Short Pump Hotel & Spa on September 24, 2016. Toni Ardabell, chief executive officer of Bon Secours Richmond and Bon Secours Virginia served as honorary chair
Dr. Joyce Hahn received the Virginia Nurses Association’s highest award, the Nancy Vance award. Established in 1948, this award is presented to a registered nurse in Virginia who demonstrates character above reproach and unusual qualities of unselfishness in service. The award is named in honor of Nancy Vance, a pioneer in public health nursing in Virginia. Dr. Hahn is an associate professor and founding faculty member of the George Washington University School of Nursing and president of the Virginia Board of Nursing.
“Dr. Hahn’s selfless nature and commitment to advancing nursing has been an inspiration to her fellow peers. Leading by example, she lives a strong commitment to advance the role of nursing in healthcare organizations and the community,” said Janet Wall, Virginia Nurses Foundation’s chief executive officer.
Dr. William Hazel, Virginia Secretary of Health and Human Services was recognized with the Friend of Nursing award for his commitment to ensuring that registered nurses are represented at every important healthcare discussion in the Commonwealth.
“Dr. Hazel was instrumental in setting the stage for the successful passage of House Bill 346, which provided nurse practitioners with added autonomy and mandated a collaborative environment. He is a true nurse champion,” said Teresa Haller, president of the Virginia Nurses Foundation.
Also honored at the Gala:
- Winners of the 2016 Magnet Consortium Excellence Awards
- Nursing Education - Ashley Henry, Centra Health
- Advanced Practice Nursing – Donna Bond, Carilion Clinic, Roanoke Campus
- Nursing Leadership – Kevin Shimp, VCU Health System
- Clinical Nurse Practice – Elise Wilson, Virginia Hospital Center
- Winners of the 2016 Virginia Nurses Foundation Leadership Excellence Awards
- Direct Patient Care – Patient Safety:
- Kathleen Rea, UVA Health System
- Karen Jones, VCU Health System
- Trina Trimmer, VCU Health System
- Direct Patient Care Leader – Patient Experience
- Ethlyn Gibson, Riverside Pace
- Allison (Lisa) Brady, Virginia Hospital Center
- Tammy Scott, VCU Health System
- Nurse Educator
- Lora Peppard, George Mason University School of Nursing
- Nurse Manager/Director
- Veronica Brill, UVA Health System
- Nursing Informatics
- Lori McDaniel, Virginia Hospital Center
- Chief Nursing Officer
- Darlene Vrotsos, Virginia Hospital Center
- Nursing School Dean/Director
- Jean Giddens, VCU School of Nursing